Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Some Folks Just Don't Have Anything Better to Do

Sigh.

My band is engaged to perform on Memorial Day, a new event at a new venue: Gryphon's Nest Campground in Baton Rouge. I haven't had occasion to speak to the owner/organizer - that lot has fallen to PJ (We take turns doing bookings so no one is overwhelmed with the responsibility).

Today I learned that the fellow in charge is under siege, both in the Mundane world and here in the Blue Nowhere. It seems that some folks in his area have taken exception to his holding an event, open to the public, that is pagan in nature.

These people have defamed his character, printed and spoken outright lies about this man, this event, and pagans in general.

Now, y'all know by now (I hope) that I am pagan. And y'all know by now (I hope) that I'm a basically decent person who does her best to be a good human. And y'all know (I hope) that I don't have any issue with Christianity as a spiritual way. I've seen and known a lot of good people who follow one church or another, a lot of kindness and compassion that have sprung from Christ's teachings.

I've also seen, and experienced a lot of ignorant hatred from people so blind they couldn't see my character, but only the pentacle I wear. I've been threatened, reviled, and called many interesting if unimaginative names because of my beliefs. It sucks, but if my belief in my spiritual way can't handle some name-calling, it's not much of a path, is it?

I wonder why the protesters, the people hacking websites and putting up their own misinformation, can't manage to feel the same way?

If you don't already have plans for Memorial Day and you'd like to help show support for spiritual freedom, music, and community, come on out and join us for the weekend; with any luck, the worst thing we'll have to fend off is a Louisiana skeeter!

3 comments:

Suzy said...

I love that Ayn Rand quote at the top of your page. I'm going to borrow it and put it on Twitter. Unless you have a Twitter acct and want to do it yourself? It's a good quote and I'll RT you.

Christians make me uneasy. I find some of them to be the most hateful people in the world. Why can't they just respect everyone's personal religion as a right and not a curse?

Kyddryn said...

Mizz Suzy, you're welcome to it. I don't Twitter. I've known some darned good Xtians in my time...but so much evil has been done in the name of the church...sigh. Sad. It would be nice of we could all play in the sandbox without strife...but I just don't see it happening any time soon. Double sigh.

HermitJim said...

I hope you have a good time at the event...and aren't raided by the " name police" or some such!

All of this could be resolved by the use of one simple concept...RESPECT!

Many don't have it, won't share it if they have it, but expect it from others!

Like you said...sad!